Croda is a world leading producer of organic friction modifiers and ester lubricant additives and base fluids designed to help formulators and engineers control friction. Controlling friction is the key to controlling fuel efficiency, reducing emissions, reducing wear and extending the durability of equipment.
Croda has developed a range of organic friction modifiers based on polymer chemistry, namely Perfad 3000 and Perfad 3050, which display an outstanding ability to reduce the coefficient of friction of engine oils to levels unachievable with conventional organic friction modifiers, thus enabling formulators to develop engine oils that improve fuel economy and reduce emissions. Perfad 3000 and Perfad 3050 also demonstrate excellent film forming properties which offers the potential to reduce engine wear and to improve engine durability.
The features and proven benefits of using Perfad 3000 and Perfad 3050 as a friction modifier in engine oil formulations include:
- Outstanding low coefficient of friction properties in boundary and mixed lubrication regimes
- Increased fuel economy, for example in challenging GF-5 engine oil tests
- Based only on C, H and O, they do not contain sulphur, phosphorus or sulphated ash (SAPs)
- Increased oxidative stability compared to traditional organic friction modifiers providing improved in-service operation and longer life
- Protects surfaces and minimises wear by building durable lubricant films under boundary conditions
- Effective at low dose rates, typically 0.1%-0.5% New Data
To demonstrate the outstanding friction reducing properties of Croda’s unique polymeric friction modifiers we have conducted tests using four formulation matrices:
- PAO 6 + organic friction modifiers
- Group III base oil + organic and metallic friction modifiers
- Top-treated commercial passenger car engine oils
- Heavy duty diesel engine oil
Perfad 3000 and Perfad 3050 act by forming strong durable films and are active at much lower temperatures than conventional anti-wear and friction modifiers, such as ZDDP and MoDTC. MTM tests conducted at 135C (initial friction and friction after a two hour MTM rubbing profile) demonstrate that Perfad 3000 and Perfad 3050 can provide extremely low coefficients of friction when added to engine oils (in the above examples, 0.5% of Perfad 3050 was added to two different 5W30 full synthetic PCMOs).
Both Perfad 3000 and Perfad 3050 have the potential to reduce engine wear by acting synergistically with ZDDP and MoDTC. To view all of the new data, to download a copy of the Perfad 3000 Series brochure or to request samples visit our homepage.